To start speaking about the ways of coming out of the problems in family relations, we have to determine what may become a trigger for such issues. Knowing the core, it is much easier to cope with the existing situation.
The reasons for the crisis of family relations may be as follows:
- Loss of a family member or a friend of a family;
- A new family member (e.g. a newborn);
- Alcohol or drug abuse;
This list may be continued as every case and every family is unique. That’s why when a crisis happens, people need to analyze the situation and find the last straw.
When you already know the cause, you may start looking for the way out.
Techniques for improving family relations
Trying to fix the crisis of family relations, remember that the main word here is “family”. Even though you may think that the problem is only between you and your spouse, you are wrong. Children also get involved and may suffer even more than you two. That’s why every member of the family should become a part of the solution.
- Don’t look for the guilty. Rejecting the problem or shifting them to your spouse or someone else won’t do any good if you want to save your family and cope with the crisis together.
- Learn to listen. Try to sit and talk, calmly, without raising the voice. Keep control over emotions as they may sometimes be an obstacle for your impartiality and sober look at the situation.
- Stay positive. It is scientifically proven that positive thinking can help in dealing with difficult and crisis situations. Have fun, do not concentrate on the issue and the solution will come by itself.
- Give yourself time. Time is the best treatment in many situations. If you or your partner need time for thought, give it to each other. Hours spent all alone help to solve the inner conflict and give a possibility to find the right way out of the crisis for both of you.
- Turn to professionals. In case you feel that you lose control over the situation, it’s better to ask for professional help.